Law Enforcement Center
440 Colorado Boulevard
Glendive, MT 59330
Phone: (406) 377-5291
Emergency Phone: 911
As a service to the residents of Dawson County, this answers some of the questions regarding Concealed Weapon Permits: Who is Eligible, How much it Costs, How to apply, etc.
Every year this office responds to hundreds of requests regarding information on carrying concealed weapons and the application process for private citizens like you. If you plan to apply for a Concealed Weapon Permit, please take a moment to read the information in this brochure.
WHAT IS THE CURRENT LAW REGARDING THE CARRYING OF A CONCEALED FIREARM?
M.C.A. Section 45-8-315 covers the laws related to concealed weapons. Most citizens find that their specific needs for protection in the home, business or while traveling fall within the current law without needing a permit.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR A CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT?
Anyone who wishes to carry a concealed pistol, revolver or any other firearm capable of being concealed upon a person within the city limits of any incorporated town is eligible to apply.
WHO CAN ISSUE A CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT?
Pursuant to the authority granted in M.C.A. Section 45-8-315, the sheriff of a county may issue written permits for carrying concealed weapons. Permits must be obtained in the county of permanent residence.
IF A PERMIT IS GRANTED IN GALLATIN COUNTY, IS IT HONORED ELSEWHERE?
Yes, M.C.A. Section 45-8-315, states: “Any such permit shall be effective in all areas of the state.” For out-of-state validity, you must contact the Attorney General of the states in which you plan to travel to see if they will honor Montana Permits.
BASIC CRITERIA FOR GRANTING A CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT:
1. Resident in Montana for six months
2. 18 years of age
3. Written documentation of firearms training - DD214. Hunter’s Safety Course or Handgun Safety Course
4. No criminal record
5. Possess a Montana Drivers License or State I-D
WHAT IS THE COST AND HOW LONG IS THE PERMIT VALID?
Initial cost is $50.00, nonrefundable. Renewal cost is $25.00, nonrefundable.
Valid for four years, however, it can be revoked at any time.
You are responsible for costs of handgun safety course.
HOURS TO APPLY: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday – 7:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. (Excluding Holidays)
PROCEDURE: At the Lobby Window in the Dawson County Sheriffs Office you may pay your fee, receive your receipt of payment and pick up your application. At this time, present proof of a handgun safety course, DD214 or Hunter’s Safety Course. Application must be signed in front of a Sheriff’s witness. When application is completed, go to the Sheriffs Office, present your receipt of payment and I-D pictures will be taken. Return all of above to the Lobby window. An extensive background check will be run on each individual. Each file must be checked and approved by the Sheriff or Undersheriff before formal processing is begun. The above process including Renewals will take two to three weeks to complete.
1. Any peace officer in the State of Montana
2. Any officer of the U.S. Government authorized to carry a concealed weapon
3. A person in actual service as a National Guardsman
4. A person summoned to the aid of any of the persons named in subsection 1-3
5. A civil officer or his deputy engaged in the discharge of official business
6. A probation or parole officer authorized to carry a firearm
7. A person issued a permit
8. An agent of the Department of Justice or a criminal investigator in the County Attorney’s Office
9. A person who is outside the official boundaries of a city or town or the confines of a logging, lumbering, mining or railroad camp or who is lawfully engaged in hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, or other activity in which weapons are often carried for recreation or protection
10. The carrying of arms on one’s own premises or at one’s home or place of business
downloadable Concealed Weapons Permit Application form
If you have other questions you may contact the Sheriff’s Administrative Office at 377-5291.